Our Home: Piper

Our Home: Piper

About Me

My photo
Coeur d Alene, ID, United States
I'm Astra, I married my best friend on July 28th 2012 and August 4th moved into a 23 ft travel trailer. I am currently traveling around the country with my husband as he works on the power lines. I am learning a lot about life on the road, traveling from RV Park to RV Park in a 5th wheel. I am extremely happy in life right now and am just enjoying every minute of it! I graduated from Lewis & Clark State college with my BS in Managerial Accounting. I have put my career on hold but it is all worth it to be with my husband. LIFE IS GOOD!

Friday, October 12, 2012

Making a house a home

Every house needs to be made a home, whether its an apartment, dorm room, new house, old house, hotel room or a house on wheels....they all need to be decorated to feel like it is YOURS.  We got our wedding pictures back so I printed them off and put some in frames all over and of course put them on my favorite....CANVAS!

Thanks to pinterest I have started to become a little crafty, I still have a long ways to go though :) Putting pictures on canvas though is one of the easiest things to do.  I printed 8x10 pictures and bought 8x10 canvas, I got them at walmart in a pack of 3.  I also bought some gloss finish mod podge.

Step One: paint a thick layer of mod podge on each canvas and on the back of each picture and let dry.

Step Two: paint another thin layer of mod podge on each canvas and attach the pictures, it will be kinda tacky but you should be able to move the pictures a bit if you dont get it perfectly on the first try.

Step Three: Paint a thick layer of mod podge over each picture, this will appear white, as it dries it will dry clear.  Make sure you paint the brush strokes all in the same direction

Step Four: Repeat step three on each picture, let it dry and you are done!!

These cost way less than ordering a canvas print and I think they look just as good!!

I hung them  using velcro command hooks.  There are so many options put out by command, they are perfect for decorating in a 5th wheel.  They are super sticky so you can rely on them not falling down during travel but when you are ready to take them down or move the pictures, decorations, ect you just peel it off and there is no mark on the wall at all!!


I bought this little kitchen sign at walmart on sale, I love it and think its perfect for my little kitchen.  My next project is going to be how to put my own words on canvas, I'll keep you updated :) 

We bought this key holder at Target cause I thought it was just so cute!! We were a little concerned with how it would do during travel cause its a little heavy but 17 hours of travel later and it did just find, another great testimony for the command products!!


This week was pretty eventful when I went to town to go running.  If I am lucky I get to run in town once a week, I like it cause its more scenic and I can run a full loop instead of just out and back and up and down the rows like I do here at the RV park.  Well this week I was lucky enough to go to town TWICE! The first time I went, I was running along the Pecos River and there was a remote control jet boat race going on.  It was so awesome, those little things are fast and can really produce a good rooster tail! It was funny to see all the guys on the bank with their remotes....so serious! The second time I went to town I was running a long the same Pecos river and I ran under that bridge I had mentioned on Facebook where the homeless camp was. Well earlier that week I had ran under it and it was cleared out so I was very happy about that.  This time when I ran under it There was someone under there with their dog and they tried to hide when they saw me coming, I ran just as fast as I did when I saw that big snake!! I miss home, I miss being able to run and not be scared, although from some of the stories I have heard lately maybe back home isnt so safe either.  I wish I could find someone to run with me or even better a running group.  I googled "carlsbad running group" and got very excited when I found out there was a running group....in Carlsbad, CA....dang it! 

I'm trying to find some social things to do, some ways I can meet some new people.  I am getting pretty lonely down here, I see Brandon 30 minutes a night, an hour if I am lucky.  He is working 6 days a week and gone for 14-16 hours a day.  Then on Sunday he has homework for 8-10 hours a day and then the week starts all over on Monday.  I know it wont be forever but some days are harder than others.  I have been reading a lot and doing a lot of cooking, Brandon says my cooking is getting better so that is a good thing! I am actually getting excited to cook Thanksgiving dinner in piper.  I've never cooked Thanksgiving dinner before, what a better way then to cook it in a 5th wheel oven huh! :) 

No matter how lonely I am, how much I miss my friends, family, work, or Coeur d Alene, I am thankful I get to share these experiences and be with Brandon every night.  I can only pray for 4 10s, in a nice city and with friends...I know that will happen someday and we will look back on these time and laugh! 







4 comments:

  1. I so wish I could run with you! I need a motivator! Every time I go, I get chased by some scary dogs... now I know what side of the road to avoid :)

    Love the canvas tutorial- I just might have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kelli that would be a dream!!! I hate being scared when I run, it takes the fun out of it!! hopefully someday in the apprenticeship we can run together :) You should try the canvas, its my favorite and so easy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had family pictures taken a couple months ago... still waiting on them, but I really want to do some canvas once I get them! I should print off a few wedding pictures and pics from our first family shoot as well. I have been wanting to do that for awhile but I thought we would be moving in August, so I didn't want to get any projects going, and now we will probably be moving at the beginning of the year... or something... lol. I guess we will see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha oh gosh don't you love that, you put things off because you think you are moving and then it drags on forever!! I'm going through the same thing right now! I say just do it, they don't take long!!

      Delete