Our Home: Piper

Our Home: Piper

About Me

My photo
Coeur d Alene, ID, United States
I'm Astra, I married my best friend on July 28th 2012 and August 4th moved into a 23 ft travel trailer. I am currently traveling around the country with my husband as he works on the power lines. I am learning a lot about life on the road, traveling from RV Park to RV Park in a 5th wheel. I am extremely happy in life right now and am just enjoying every minute of it! I graduated from Lewis & Clark State college with my BS in Managerial Accounting. I have put my career on hold but it is all worth it to be with my husband. LIFE IS GOOD!

Monday, October 29, 2012

Anxiety

I've learned in the short time Brandon has been in this trade, having your husband work as a power lineman can bring a lot of worry and anxiety.  It can completely consume your life if you let it.  I knew this was a dangerous job and I knew accidents can happen in a split second but I was never prepared for how I would handle it.  As you may remember some crew members got injured the week of our wedding in July.  Their lives were forever changed and I still pray for them and their families nightly.  What I didn't expect is how it would affect me.  I found myself so scared when Brandon would go to work.  I would lay in bed at night, praying for the safety of him and his crew and I would just cry because I couldn't imagine what I would do if he got hurt or worse.  He is my world and I was clinging on to him so tightly and it was emotionally crippling me each and every night.  I would hug him so tight and not want to let go.  Then I would worry myself sick with the what ifs, what if he gets cancer, what if I get cancer, what if he gets into a car accident.  I don't want to live without him.  I realized I was headed to a dark place and this is not how I wanted to live my life everyday.  I wanted to be so proud of my husband and enjoy the life we had together instead of being scared it would be taken away from me.  I went to Hastings and went directly to the self help/ psychology section to find a book to help me.  I found "Calm My Anxious Heart" by Linda Dillow.  I cannot say enough good things about this book.  It gave me EVERYTHING I needed to live for TODAY and enjoy this life we have! 


I think I have every page dog eared and writing in the margins all over the book.  Sometimes it just helps reading something in a book or online that makes it click and it completely changes your thinking.   The first thing I read was this : 
  • Never allow yourself to complain about anything - not even the weather. 
  • Never picture yourself in any other circumstance or someplace else
  • Never compare your lot with another's
  • Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise
  • Never Dwell on tomorrow - remember that tomorrow is God's, not ours. 
I love these, if you really think about them, break each one down and practice this in your daily life you would have a much less anxious heart.  My favorite one and the one that changed my thinking was the last one.  Never Dwell on tomorrow - remember that tomorrow is God's not ours.  That is all I was doing, worrying about tomorrow, or next week, or next year, or the next 20 years.  I was consumed with NOT having Brandon in my life instead of focusing on having him in my life today.  Now when I start to get worked up or think about what COULD happen, I just say "God, I am sorry I am trying to control things again, tomorrow is not mine, it is yours.  Whatever is in your plan will be, I am giving you my worry because I cannot control tomorrow, it is yours" I am not saying this book will change you over night, it didn't change me over night.  As I read this book though, I felt such a sense of relaxation.  Like everything would be ok and I would find peace.  Trusting in God and giving him your tomorrows and worries is something that takes time, a lot of time, a lifetime even.  I know there will be days when its harder and I don't trust Him as much as I should but all I can do is try each day and learn how to put my faith in Him.  


Hurricane Sandy is going to hit the East coast today.  I have all my extended family there and many friends have sent their linemen there already to restore power.  This can be a very anxious time,  I encourage you to pray, a lot, and give your tomorrows and worries to God.  He is listening.  I highly recommend this book, it has changed my life and I know it can help you too! 


"Let your hope make you glad.  Be patient in time of trouble and never stop praying" Romans 12:12
"Faith: it does not make things easier it makes them possible" Luke 1:37

No comments:

Post a Comment