Our Home: Piper

Our Home: Piper

About Me

My photo
Coeur d Alene, ID, United States
I'm Astra, I married my best friend on July 28th 2012 and August 4th moved into a 23 ft travel trailer. I am currently traveling around the country with my husband as he works on the power lines. I am learning a lot about life on the road, traveling from RV Park to RV Park in a 5th wheel. I am extremely happy in life right now and am just enjoying every minute of it! I graduated from Lewis & Clark State college with my BS in Managerial Accounting. I have put my career on hold but it is all worth it to be with my husband. LIFE IS GOOD!

Monday, March 25, 2013

Salt Lake City and Sterling, CO

To say these last few days have been stressful is somewhat of an understatement!! Tuesday we left for Salt Lake and the drive was pretty nice.  It was a clear day and the roads were dry.  It was about an 8 hour drive for us and we got in around 6:30, grabbed some dinner and crashed.  I didn't sleep well at all cause of the bed and constant noise outside all night long.  Wednesday night we got to meet up with our friend Chance... soon to be Uncle Chance :)  The guys were drinking beers and I was drinking lemonade, which I paid for later with horrible heartburn!  It was pretty funny when the conversation turned from linework to baby names :)  Thursday afternoon our Friends Mike and Cayla got to town, so they could pick up Mikes Journeyman ticket!!!!!!  We got to see them for a bit on Thursday and then Friday morning we met up again.  We all went to breakfast as we waited for the call that he could go pick up his ticket from local 57.  I got the most amazing french toast at breakfast, and I'll probably be craving it for the rest of my pregnancy now! We went to the hall with the McBrides and it was such a crazy feeling.  This apprenticeship is so hard dealing with the unknown, and having what you do know change all the time.  Getting to see one of our good friends get that hard earned ticket and listening to the union director congratulate him and talk about the work was so cool! It makes it all worth it, all the tears, frantic moves, unknowns about the jobs, moving from company to company and crew to crew.  In about 16 months we'll get to experience that....not that I am counting or anything! Its crazy how similar we are to the McBrides.  Little Wesson is 11 months and thats when Mike topped out.  Well Baby Underdown should be about 11 months when Brandon tops out, how cool!!   We left salt lake about 11 and I was in tears as I hugged Cayla goodbye.  I cried for over an hour, blame it on the hormones or lack of girlfriends on the road but goodbyes are getting harder and harder for me.






At 11:45 Brandon got a call from Mountain States that said we were moving.  He was going to start at Hooper in Sterling, CO on Monday.  Thankfully we mapped it out and it was only about an hour drive.  We were so excited because we have friends there and Brandon will actually be working with a good friend on the same crew! We were also stoked because it was by far the shortest move we have made at this point, our other moves were 15+ hours and trying to do that in one day would have been CRAZY!! Granted it was our shortest move yet, it was by far the WORST move we've made! We got home to Greeley about 7 and I started mentally planning what I needed to do to get Piper ready for the move.  We woke up Saturday and looked at the temps and they were negative and it was a blizzard out. Perfect day to move :( I got everything done inside and Brandon started on the outside.  About two hours later we were ready to hook onto Piper.  I was frozen solid because it was so cold.  The snow and wind was blowing so hard it would just sting your face when it hit you.  I was in my car warming up and I looked up and saw Brandon backing up to the Piper.  Its my job to make sure he's lined up, tell him how close he is ect. So I jumped out of my car and started running over to help.  I had my head down and my hand on my hat cause I was so cold and trying to avoid the pelting snow.  Next thing I know, I am dropped to my knees. Yeah, I did it, I ran right into the 5th wheel hitch!! I looked up and saw brandon getting out of the truck as fast as he could with a look of terror on his face. I tried to get up and said I am ok, I am ok. SOMEHOW I did not knock myself out or split my head open, I honestly don't know how. I ran right into that thing so hard! All I did was scrap my finger a bit. Brandon and I both agreed I'll be wearing a hardhat next time we move!

20...feels like 2! oh it was sooo cold!! 


All that happened in "Astra vs 5th wheel hitch"

Poor Piper, having to move in these conditions :( 

The Drive to Sterling was terrible, the roads were complete ice and Piper even started to fishtail at one point.  What should have been about an hour drive of course turned into 2+.  We made it to the RV park though and got all checked in.  Made it to our spot and we are only 4 spaces up from Justin and Kelli so thats super exciting! I have to say I LOVE this RV park so much!  I haven't slept so good since December! There are no trains, jake brakes or anything in here! In fact since Saturday I haven't even seen another vehicle driving through the park! Its wonderful! Brandon starts on his new crew today, I am so excited to hear how it goes!! I am so thankful to be in Sterling because I can still go to my doctor, my hair lady, our church and small group.  Granted its an hour drive but I'll take it rather than having to start over completely! Maybe we'll get lucky and one of my midwives WILL get to Deliver baby U! Brandon only works half days on Fridays so I am going to call today and see if they can get us in on a Friday (maybe this one!) because I really want him there when we find out, so we'll see!

Our spot....a little cramped but we love it!

1 comment: