Our Home: Piper

Our Home: Piper

About Me

My photo
Coeur d Alene, ID, United States
I'm Astra, I married my best friend on July 28th 2012 and August 4th moved into a 23 ft travel trailer. I am currently traveling around the country with my husband as he works on the power lines. I am learning a lot about life on the road, traveling from RV Park to RV Park in a 5th wheel. I am extremely happy in life right now and am just enjoying every minute of it! I graduated from Lewis & Clark State college with my BS in Managerial Accounting. I have put my career on hold but it is all worth it to be with my husband. LIFE IS GOOD!

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Mr. and Mrs. Underdown!!

What a whirlwind of emotions I've gone through in the past 4 weeks, I'll try to sum it up best I can....

The weekend before our wedding, July 21st Brandon had his lineman rodeo in Great Falls, MT.  He had been to one in Utah already but I hadn't been so I was very excited to watch him compete.  Our friends Shannon and Tyson came with which was a very fun unexpected surprise :)  Brandon flew into Bozeman, MT which turned what would had been a 5 hour drive into about a 9 hour drive!! We got to the airport and we were an hour early because I can't do math...Shannon and Tyson were troopers though!! Friday night we went to the rodeo and Brandon got signed in, there was a fish fry, drinks and karaoke :) ( no I did not sing!).  It was really fun, I got to meet a lot of brandon's friends and people he went to class with so that was really cool! Its fun to meet other people in the trade, especially their wives and girlfriends :) Brandon did great in all of his events, but he won first place in the hurt man rescue event, completing it in a whole 65 seconds!! I am so proud of him!!!

After the rodeo Teresa road back with us to Idaho for a week full of wedding fun before the big day.  It certainly was a interesting week and did not go as I had envisioned my whole life.  I always wanted to have a longer engagement so I wouldn't be that "stressed out bride"  well I did not accomplish that task, I was the epitomy of stressed out bride.  I let a lot of things get to me, built things up in my head and made them much bigger deals than they needed to be.  I am really sad about this and wish I would have been a stronger person.

The week of the wedding, Monday or Tuesday I believe, we received the worst news possible.  Two guys on Brandon's crew were severely injured in an accident at work.  His journeyman and groundman were injured and we did not know if they were going to make it.  I will never forget the feeling I got in the most bottom part of my stomach when I read that text.  I felt like someone had hit me in the stomach over and over again.  I cried for hours.  I cried for Wendle and Lyle and Brandon, as well as myself.  I knew that if Brandon had not been home for our wedding I would have been flying down to the burn center in Salt Lake City to see him.  Brandon has always told me that he knew throughout his career he would go to the burn center many times and attend a few funerals of good friends, this is a very very dangerous job.  I know that, I just didn't think it would happen in the first year of his career and I certainly didn't think it would be so close to home.  I am trying to stay strong and not worry.  I haven't been able to sleep all the way through the night these last few nights because I know he is going to work the next day.  Every time I hear an ambulance my heart stops, I hope this goes away with time.
Today as far as we know Wendle and Lyle are going to survive, however their injuries are severe.  Wendle has had both legs amputated and Lyle has lost one leg above the knee.  Please pray for these two gentlemen and their families, their lives have been forever changed.

During the week of the wedding I also realized I was leaving after the wedding...for good.   Not for 3 weeks or a month, for the duration of Brandons apprenticeship.  I knew this was coming and it was my decision but it doesn't make the reality any easier.  I have the most amazing friendships with the best guys and gals in the world.  My friendships grow deeper with all my friends each time I hang out with them and each time I leave thinking "how did I get so lucky to have so many GOOD friends".  Its hard to leave that, its hard to think I can pause all those friendships and come back in 3 years and they will still be there.  I just have to have faith....

Our wedding day was by far the best day of my life!! Everything was absolutely perfect! The only thing I wish I could change is I wish the day was even longer, I never wanted to it end!! We are so lucky to have such amazing friends and family in our life, people came from all over the country to attend our wedding and celebrate us!!! It feels so great to have so much support, I can't even put in to words how special we feel!

After the wedding we got to spend a very fun week with our family from the east coast.  We go to do everything that north idaho has to offer and it was one of the funnest weeks of my life! I made so many memories and everyone welcomed Brandon into the family like he has been around for years! THANK YOU!!

Now we are on the road....we started out getting sent to Tooele, UT, about 30 minutes away from Salt Lake City.  We were there for 2 days (which felt like 2 weeks cause of the Villa Motel!!) Thank goodness we ran into Brandons friend Chance and he let me hang out in his trailer during the day so I didn't have to stay at The Villa! Tuesday night we made a long 5.5 hour drive to Blanding so Brandon could work Wednesday morning.  We will be here until Friday and then it sounds like we will be moving on to Ogden, UT.  Ogden seems pretty nice, its about 30 miles outside of Salt Lake so I am sure there will be a lot more to do than in Blanding...I am excited about grocery shopping and hopefully cheaper options than Clarks Market in Blanding!!

I know this was a long one but thanks for reading, I'll post more as our adventure continues!!

"We're right where we need to be, not knowing where we are going"

4 comments:

  1. Your wedding day was gorgeous!!!
    I will always remember Karter saying,
    "Mom, the princess was pretty!"

    We love you guys so much and you are in
    our prayers. Brandon, stay safe and Astra
    take care of that man! We miss you already!!!!

    Moni and Kj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Moni!! It was such a fun day, Karter is the cutest!!! Miss you too!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why am I reading this? You know, one of Nic's teachers actually told him not to let me google anything about linemen or linewives because I guess his wife totally freaked out while he was training and they got in some huge fight about it, lol.

    I also think it's funny that I had never heard of lineman rodeos, and I grew up in Great Falls! I guess you don't pay attention to things like that if you don't have a lineman! :)

    I'm glad your wedding day was wonderful, even if it was over a year ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats funny, I never thought about rodeos or LINEMEN for that matter before I met my husband! :)

      Delete