Our Home: Piper

Our Home: Piper

About Me

My photo
Coeur d Alene, ID, United States
I'm Astra, I married my best friend on July 28th 2012 and August 4th moved into a 23 ft travel trailer. I am currently traveling around the country with my husband as he works on the power lines. I am learning a lot about life on the road, traveling from RV Park to RV Park in a 5th wheel. I am extremely happy in life right now and am just enjoying every minute of it! I graduated from Lewis & Clark State college with my BS in Managerial Accounting. I have put my career on hold but it is all worth it to be with my husband. LIFE IS GOOD!

Monday, December 10, 2012

Broken Water Hose and Bubble Wrap

The drive up to Greeley wasn't too bad once we got on the road.  One of our rear jacks broke as Brandon was hooking up to Piper so he had to tie them up before we left.  Not what you want to happen right before you leave but it isn't the end of the world, he already has it fixed now :)




Needless to say this my first winter on the road and our first winter in Piper.  I am so thankful that we are in Piper, I would probably go insane if we still had Thor.  We made the 12 hour drive from Carlsbad to Greeley and got to the RV park about 8:30 Saturday night.  The RV park didn't have our "sites" ( I say that VERY loosely) set up so we didn't get to set up until noon on Sunday, that was a little frustrating but we made do.  We got all set up and I got unpacked with my decorations all up.  We had a couple errands to run, like buying Brandon long under ware, then we went to dinner at Texas Roadhouse.  It was so nice to be able to get what we needed and go to dinner all within 5 miles of our RV park.  I can get used to this!

Sunday night we slept pretty well.  We have our furnace set at 40 so it keeps everything from freezing and our space heater in the bedroom at 70 and we are perfectly warm.  We woke up at 6 this morning and Brandon and I got to have breakfast, coffee and hot coco together, it was so fun! A much needed change from his 3:30 am departures.  Sounds like he is only about 10 miles away from our RV park which again is much better than him being in a whole other state and an hour and a half away!

This RV park is definitely one of the more uncomfortable ones we've stayed at.  They are full in their park so they opened up a field and put about 100 campers and 5th wheels in that.  So this is where we are staying, in a field, in Colorado.  We do have electric, water, and sewer but its just weird. There is no cable, not even local channels from our antenna, but I do have lightening fast wifi so I can watch all our shows online. Even our skirting guy asked what our space number we were and I had to give him directions to where we were in the field.
Our Spot....

Looking out our front door....
Our furnace wasn't kicking on this morning, we thought we must have ran out of propane so we went outside to change it over to the other tank ( I wanted to go so I could remember how) well we walked outside and saw this:


Yeah the connecting part of the heated hose cracked and apparently had been spewing water all night long.  We wouldn't have known until I went and looked cause we still had water in Piper.  Oh well.  Easy cheap fix :)

My next winterization project was to put that bubble wrap stuff on our windows.  I am a little bummed about having to do this, I absolutely love opening my blinds and letting the sunlight in and in the summer opening all my windows :)  It took me about 2 hours but I got every single window and overhead vent covered so we really live in a cave now.

Bubble wrap  on some of the windows

Our living room with NO lights on.....ugh! 










































Our skirting guy should be coming by today to take measurements so Piper can get a new winter jacket.  It should really help keep the heat in and plus we get so much storage underneath now :) I'll post a pic when we get it all installed.
That is our little update, living in a 5th wheel is not all fun and games but its not miserable and its memories for our memory bank :)

5 comments:

  1. You have such a positive attitude....it will really keep you going. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WTG! You guys are awesome. Sorry you had a few bumps with some broken things, but at least they were easy fixes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s a good thing that it can be fixed easily, but it’s kinda in an exposed position, isn’t it?

    Hope you’re having fun in your mobile mansion! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine we were able to replace the plastic part with a metal part so it won't crack again, then we got a heated hose and it keeps the water flowing great! We are having a great time, getting ready for our 2nd winter, I don't know how "ready" I can really be though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! Living in a fifth wheel is not always fun. You may encounter problems along the way, which can really test your patience. However, in my opinion, those problems will still serve a good purpose, especially if you were able to learn from them and become a better RV owner. Anyway, I’m glad that the problem you encountered that time wasn’t that bad and has been immediately resolved. I just hope things went smoothly as well when you placed all the additions you wanted for your RV. All the best!

    Liza Pilon @ Prairie City RV Center

    ReplyDelete